Cannara Biotech Inc. Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2021 Results
December 8th, 2021
Fiscal 2021 revenues of $17.3 million, gross profit of $10.5 million or 61% and an Adjusted EBITDA of $1.5 million, strong indicators of Cannara’s performance and successful operating strategy
All financial results are reported in Canadian dollars, unless otherwise stated.
MONTREAL, Dec. 8, 2021 /CNW/ – Cannara Biotech Inc. (“Cannara” or the “Company“) (TSXV: LOVE) (OTCQB: LOVFF) (FRA: 8CB), a vertically integrated producer of premium-grade cannabis and derivative products with two mega cultivation facilities based in Québec spanning over 1,650,000 sq. ft., today announced its fourth quarter and fiscal year 2021 financial and operating results for the three and twelve-month periods ended August 31, 2021.
Driven by premium “AAAA” grade cannabis, disruptive pricing and exceptional consumer response to world-class products, the Company accomplished significant growth in 2021 from the commercialization of its cannabis operation in Quebec. As a result, the Company increased its total yearly gross revenue compared to prior year by 565%, from $2.6 million to $17.3 million and its fourth quarter gross revenue compared to fourth quarter of 2020 by 957%, from $613 thousand to $6.5 million, generating net income of $1.1 million and an Adjusted EBITDA of $1.4 million for a second consecutive quarter of profitability. With the initiation of commercial sales in Q2 2021 and the acquisition of the Valleyfield Facility, Cannara is well-positioned for national growth in 2022.
Selected Financial Highlights
|Three-month periods ended||Years ended|
|Selected Financial Highlights||August 31,
|Gross profit, before fair value adjustments||3,440,799||49,368||8,741,484||1,665,824|
|Net finance expense||434,851||423,898||1,785,426||1,142,025|
|Net income (loss)||$||1,131,843||$||(3,909,180)||$||(1,528,143)||$||(13,094,355)|
|Basic earnings (loss) per share||$||0.01||$||(0.01)||$||(0.01)||$||(0.02)|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per share||$||0.01||$||(0.01)||$||(0.01)||$||(0.02)|
|August 31, 2021||August 31, 2020|
|Total current liabilities||6,833,798||3,476,952|
|Total non-current liabilities||27,906,801||16,485,567|
|1Gross revenue included revenue from sale of goods, net of excise taxes, and lease revenues.|
|2Adjusted EBITDA and Ajdusted EBITDA % is a non-IFRS financial performance measure.|
Full Year 2021 Financial Highlights:
- Delivered a total revenue of $17.3 million, an increase of $14.7 million from the year prior;
- Gross profit of $10.5 million or 61%, representing an increase of $9.3 million from the year prior;
- Operating expenses down by $2.9 million compared to prior year;
- Adjusted EBITDA amounted to $1.5 million, an increase of $9.8 million from the year prior;
- Net loss amounted to $1.5 million, a significant decrease of $11.6 million from a net loss of $13.1 million in the prior year;
- Cash on hand of $8.2 million, an increase of $0.4 million from year prior. The Company supported the Cannabis operations for the first half of the fiscal year until it commercialized its products. In addition, the Company received financing and invested in the acquisition of the Valleyfield Facility and related capital expenditures;
- Working capital of $12.4 million provides the Company with liquidity to execute on its strategy.
Q4 2021 Financial and Operating Highlights:
- Delivered a total revenue of $6.5 million, an increase of $5.9 million from $0.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2020;
- Gross profit of $4.5 million or 70%, representing an increase of $4.9 million from the year prior;
- Adjusted EBITDA amounted to $1.4 million, an increase of $2.8 million from a negative adjusted EBITDA of $1.4 million in the fourth quarter of 2020;
- Net income amounted to $1.1 million, an increase of $5.0 million from a net loss of $3.9 million in the fourth quarter of 2020;
- Completed a non-brokered private placement of $24.3 million and convertible debenture raise of $5.7 million to finance the acquisition of the Valleyfield Facility. In addition, the Company converted its $5 million credit facilities bearing interest at 13% into a $5 million convertible debenture bearing interest at 4% and convertible into common shares at a price of $0.18 per share.
- Acquired the Valleyfield Facility: a 1 million sq. ft. cultivation and manufacturing facility from The Green Organic Holdings Ltd. (“TGOD”), for $27 million plus funding of certain deposit requirements of approximately $5.7 million by a letter of credit. The Valleyfield Facility received its cultivation license in September 2021 and propagated its first 9,600 plants in November 2021;
- Expanded to the Saskatchewan market during the quarter;
- Introduced new SKUs to the Quebec market: Cuban Linx and Do-Si-Dos (Tribal Brand) and CBD Runtz (Orchid CBD brand) in both 3.5 gram dry flower ad 2.5 gram pre-roll formats;
- Sold approximately 1,696 kg of cannabis during the fourth quarter of 2021.
Highlights Subsequent to Fourth Quarter
- Secured additional bank credit amounting to $22 million increased from a previous loan of $5.4 million with Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (“CIBC”);
- Expanded to Ontario market;
- Launched two new hash products within the Nugz brand in Quebec retail stores; Old School Hash in a 3-gram bar and Ice Water Hash in a 1-gram temple ball;
- Granted an aggregate total of 7,935,000 stock options to certain employees and board members at an exercise price of $0.18 per common share, subject to certain vesting conditions.
Executive Team Appointments
- Nicolas Dupuis joins the Company with 25 years of progressive operations leadership experience in global manufacturing in the pharmaceutical industry, assumed office as Vice President, Supply Chain to spearhead supply chain strategy and further streamline business operations;
- Brian Sherman joins the Company as Vice President, Legal Affairs to lead strategic advice in regulatory compliance matters. Sherman brings industry experience having served as a senior member of the legal team at Canopy Growth.
CEO and CFO Commentaries
“Our impressive increase in revenue this quarter and incredible overall results for this year demonstrate a year of sustained growth and profitability, one which continued to drive our net income and adjusted EBITDA up,” said Zohar Krivorot, President & Chief Executive Officer of Cannara. “Our three flagship brands carved unique niches in the industry, offering handcrafted, hang-dried, slow-cured and hand-trimmed cannabis with the flower’s natural properties intact. The consumer response to these products outperformed even our expectations, as we saw a remarkable increase in both new and loyal customers embracing the dynamism of our product portfolio. We are also thrilled by the continued expansion of our Cannara family, as we increasingly rely on purpose-driven leaders whose talent for strategy shape the organization’s competencies. Over the course of the next fiscal, we are well-positioned for national growth and will continue to seek opportunities that support our mission, allocating efforts to existing and new activities.”
“Our tremendous growth was driven by strategic retail activities in Québec, combined with well-thought-out operational development investments, the cultivation and sale licenses of our two mega facilities, and the cannabis revenues generated during the second half of 2021,” said Nicholas Sosiak, Chief Financial Officer of Cannara. “The incredible performance, strong balance sheet and increase in gross profit all underscore our long-term growth strategy and commitment to our customers, against the backdrop of strong demand for our products. As we continue to generate profitable growth and outsized returns, we will move forward from a position of financial strength and are ideally positioned to showcase continued positive Adjusted EBITDA.”
Fiscal 2022 Outlook
Looking ahead, the Company expects to optimize the additional debt financing from CIBC to finalize the redesign of several zones at the Valleyfield Facility to replicate the indoor cultivation environment, including growing without utilizing the sun and launch the operations at the site.
The first 25,000 square foot zone was propagated with 9,600 plants in November 2021 and next 25,000 square foot zone is planned to be propagated in January 2022.
The Company also anticipates that its existing cash resources of $8.2 million (as at August 31, 2021), along with the forecasted cashflows and financing that occurred subsequent to year-end, will enable it to fund its planned operating expenses for at least the next twelve months from August 31, 2021.
Over the course of the next fiscal year, the Company plans to allocate efforts towards several transformative milestones as a part of its long-term strategy:
- Increased cannabis supply through the propagation of six rooms in the Valleyfield facility;
- Market release of new cannabis genetics into market;
- Accelerated Hash production & introduction of new Hash blends into market;
- Construction of a butane hash oil extraction lab, and launch of a vape cart product line;
- Further penetration of Québec and Ontario markets, and expansion into new territories;
- Continued positive Adjusted EBITDA.
As at the date of this report, the Company had 876,481,321 common shares and 44,199,333 stock options issued and outstanding. For further information, the complete Audited Consolidated Financial Statements and Management’s Discussion and Analysis for the three and twelve-month periods ended August 31, 2021 and August 31, 2020, along with additional information about the Company and all of its public filings are available at sedar.com and the Company’s investor website, investors.cannara.ca.
About Cannara Biotech Inc.
Cannara Biotech Inc. (TSXV: LOVE) (OTCQB: LOVFF) (FRA: 8CB) is a vertically integrated producer of premium-grade cannabis and cannabis-derivative products for the Québec and Canadian markets. Cannara owns two mega cultivation facilities based in Québec spanning over 1,650,000 sq. ft., providing the Company with 125,000kg of potential annualized cultivation output. Leveraging Québec’s low electricity costs, Cannara’s facilities produce craft-cultivated premium-grade cannabis products at an affordable price. For more information, please visit cannara.ca.
Neither the TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.
Cautionary Statement Regarding “Forward-Looking” Information
This information release contains certain forward-looking information. Such information involves known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause actual results, performance or achievements to be materially different from those implied by statements herein, and therefore these statements should not be read as guarantees of future performance or results. All forward-looking statements are based on the Company’s current beliefs as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to it as well as other factors. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this press release. Due to risks and uncertainties, including the risks and uncertainties identified by the Company in its public securities filings, actual events may differ materially from current expectations. The Company disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
This article was published by CFN Enterprises Inc. (OTCQB: CNFN), owner and operator of CFN Media, the industry’s leading agency and digital financial media network dedicated to the burgeoning CBD and legal cannabis industries. Call +1 (833) 420-CNFN for more information.
About CFN Media Group
CFN Enterprises Inc. (OTCQB: CNFN) owns and operates CFN Media Group, the premier agency and financial media network reaching executives, entrepreneurs and consumers worldwide. Through its proprietary content creation, video library, and distribution via www.CannabisFN.com, CFN has built an extensive database of cannabis interest, assisting many of the world’s largest cannabis firms and CBD brands to build awareness and thrive. For more information, please visit www.cfnenterprisesinc.com.
Disclaimer: Matters discussed on this website contain forward-looking statements that are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such statements. CFN Media Group, which owns CannabisFN, is not registered with any financial or securities regulatory authority and does not provide nor claims to provide investment advice or recommendations to readers of this release. CFN Media Group, which owns CannabisFN, may from time-to-time have a position in the securities mentioned herein and will increase or decrease such positions without notice. The Information contains forward-looking statements, i.e. statements or discussions that constitute predictions, expectations, beliefs, plans, estimates, or projections as indicated by such words as "expects", "will", "anticipates", and "estimates"; therefore, you should proceed with extreme caution in relying upon such statements and conduct a full investigation of the Information and the Profiled Issuer as well as any such forward-looking statements. Any forward looking statements we make in the Information are limited to the time period in which they are made, and we do not undertake to update forward looking statements that may change at any time; The Information is presented only as a brief "snapshot" of the Profiled Issuer and should only be used, at most, and if at all, as a starting point for you to conduct a thorough investigation of the Profiled Issuer and its securities and to consult your financial, legal or other adviser(s) and avail yourself of the filings and information that may be accessed at www.sec.gov, www.pinksheets.com, www.otcmarkets.com or other electronic sources, including: (a) reviewing SEC periodic reports (Forms 10-Q and 10-K), reports of material events (Form 8-K), insider reports (Forms 3, 4, 5 and Schedule 13D); (b) reviewing Information and Disclosure Statements and unaudited financial reports filed with the Pink Sheets or www.otcmarkets.com; (c) obtaining and reviewing publicly available information contained in commonlyknown search engines such as Google; and (d) consulting investment guides at www.sec.gov and www.finra.com. You should always be cognizant that the Profiled Issuers may not be current in their reporting obligations with the SEC and OTCMarkets and/or have negative signs at www.otcmarkets.com (See section below titled "Risks Related to the Profiled Issuers, which provides additional information pertaining thereto). For making specific investment decisions, readers should seek their own advice and that of their own professional advisers. CFN Media Group, which owns CannabisFN, may be compensated for its Services in the form of cash-based and/or equity-based compensation in the companies it writes about, or a combination of the two. For full disclosure, please visit: https://www.cannabisfn.com/legal-disclaimer/. A short time after we acquire the securities of the foregoing company, we may publish the (favorable) information about the issuer referenced above advising others, including you, to purchase; and while doing so, we may sell the securities we acquired. In addition, a third-party shareholder compensating us may sell his or her shares of the issuer while we are publishing favorable information about the issuer. Except for the historical information presented herein, matters discussed in this article contain forward-looking statements that are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such statements. CFN Media Group, which owns CannabisFN, is not registered with any financial or securities regulatory authority, and does not provide nor claims to provide investment advice or recommendations to readers of this release. CFN Media Group, which owns CannabisFN, may from time to time have a position in the securities mentioned herein and will increase or decrease such positions without notice. For making specific investment decisions, readers should seek their own advice and that of their own professional advisers. CFN Media Group, which owns CannabisFN, may be compensated for its Services in the form of cash-based and/or equity- based compensation in the companies it writes about, or a combination of the two. For full disclosure please visit: https://www.cannabisfn.com/legal-disclaimer/.